Rules And Regulations For Window Replacement in Listed Properties Edinburgh
GUIDANCE TO YOUR LISTED BUILDING FROM THE EXPERTS
Replacing windows as part of a listed building restoration or repair project can be complex. Regulations and restrictions are in place, which you will be required to follow – but knowing what you can and can’t do is not always clear. At Eco Windows & Doors, we’ve been working on listed buildings for many years. We are perfectly placed to provide you with advice, to guide you step‐by‐step through the process.
Rules And Regulations For Listed Properties
When upgrading or refurbishing your windows, most councils and conservation officers would ask that you renovate your windows where possible, saving as much of the original window. Upgrading is nearly always preferable to replacement. We’ve helped many listed property owners through the planning application process. We provide:
- Window‐by‐window survey
- Drawings or specifications needed to help the councils understand the work that will be undertaken
In addition, we can refer you to an accredited architect who will be able to provide the following package for obtaining Listed Building Consent:
- Photographing the existing building elevations
- Carrying out a search of Property Listing details
- Completing a short Heritage Statement including detailed specifications for proposed replacement windows
- In some cases, full-size scale astragal and moulding details
- Submission of Listed Building Consent
- This package is provided at a competitive rate and the process usually takes 6-8 weeks.
How Do I Approach A Listed Building Renovation or Repair?
If you own a listed property and are thinking of renovating the period sash windows, we recommend you speak to your local conservation officer first. Check with them if you require Listed Building Consent or Planning Permission before any work commences. We can then provide a window‐by‐window survey detailing the work required, plus any accompanying documentation your planning officer may wish to see.
Help You Find The Right Advice For Your Project
When embarking renovation of a listed property, it’s useful to carry out as much research as possible. Here you can find a list of resources that you may find helpful: